William Nicholson Studio

Rottingdean Preservation Society  8th September 2017

William Nicholson Studio

Over the last few months, the Society has worked closely with the Whiteway Centre to renovate the Nicholson Studio, which was once part of the Grange Gardens, but now lies in the grounds of St Margaret’s School.   It was built in 1912, and was designed by their friend, the internationally acclaimed architect, Edwin Lutyens.   It has a fine north-facing window, so vital to artists for providing consistent light without direct sunlight.

Over the years, the link to William Nicholson and Lutyens was largely forgotten.   Now that its origins have been rediscovered, the Rottingdean Preservation Society have renovated the exterior of the building, and, with the kind permission of the School, plan to use The Nicholson Studio for community events.

 

The Re-Dedication of the Nicholson Studio is to be celebrated by a Study Day on the Nicholson family of artists organised jointly with the Whiteway Centre, in which Rafaele Appleby, Nicholson’s great-granddaughter, herself an artist, will talk about the important contributions the women of the family made, including Winifred and Nancy.   It will end with an official opening by the Mayor of Brighton, Cllr Mo Marsh at the Whiteway Centre on September 23rd at 3.30pm.

Please follow and like us: